Sunday, May 18, 2008

When Your Art Starts to Feel Like Work...

I decided that I'm taking a break from sewing.

I never intended for my Etsy shop to be a "job," but that's the way it's making me feel lately. I'm starting to dread sitting down at the sewing machine. I don't ever want sewing to become something that's completely forced - that's how people burn out. My shop will still be open for purchases, and I will be shipping as normal. I just won't be creating or listing anything new for a while.

And, you know, it won't kill me to take a week off from sewing. It's summer vacation, and I feel the extreme urge to sit around and watch tv or go see a movie or go out and hang out with friends I have been neglecting. I'm 21 years old, I shouldn't be hunched over a sewing machine all day and night for my entire summer. Heck, maybe Brendan and I will even go out on a date!


My only plans for the next few days: Six Feet Under marathon! Brendan bought me the entire series this last Christmas. It's definitely a show you want to watch in order, so I'm about to go pop episode #1 into the DVD player. If you've never watched it, check it out! (Ladies, the main character, played by Peter Krause is completely adorable.) It's one of my all-time favorite TV shows...probably tied for first with Freaks and Geeks. :)

2 comments:

Infinite Cosmos said...

totally know what you mean. i'm on a sewing hiatus at the moment as well. mostly because of lack of inspiration and time though.
and yay for six feet under!!! i was so obsessed with that series. i love kieth and david!

Oh Mandie said...

I hate that feeling! I think thats why I constantly switch between jewelry and journals... breaks up the monotony... but even then sometimes I get myself into a rut.

Enjoy your break, and come back from you slump refreshed! :-)

Some Inspiration