Sunday, June 1, 2008

Nate

The inspiration for the name "Banana Pants Clothes", as well as for many other things in my life, is my little brother, Nate.



He was born when I was 14, and his presence changed my life in ways I don't even know how to begin to explain. He has taught me so much about how to love and how to just be myself.


When he was 4 years old, he had this bright yellow pair of pants that he called his "banana pants." I just loved that. They weren't just "yellow" pants, they were "banana" pants. So, every time I see my shop name, it reminds me to see things in my own way, not anyone else's.


Nate is 7 years old now. However, in my mind he is still about 3 or 4 ,and every time I go back to Indiana to visit I still expect him to want to snuggle up on the couch with me and watch Bob the Builder or Dragon Tales. Hehe. Now he plays baseball and likes to fish and ride his bike. He can read and count to 100 and do all of these big kid things that amaze me.


So, thank you, Nate. For being you and helping me just be me.

5 comments:

Grizzly Mountain Arts said...

What a sweet story! Thank you for sharing that with us! I can totally relate--I was 13 when my sister was born. We have more of a mother/daughter relationship than a sister/sister. I think it helped me be a better mother when I had my son :)

Rhena said...

Cute post and cute brother! I wasn't sure where to post this, but I also found another etsy seller who's donating to Burma: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5135679. They're called Mingus Designs!

Paul Sears said...

So cute! Reminds me of my nephew in Colorado! My wife and I are contemplating starting a family, so it's fun to read stories and see pics about little kids - gives us a taste of what we're in for...lol

Oh Mandie said...

He's freaking adorable!!! - What a smile!!!

Brothers ROCK - I have 3 of them that are way younger than me too, its a really special kind of relationship that I dont think someone can understand unless they have one. I'm 24 and my brothers are 16, 14, and 12 - As an adult I can appriciate being able to watch them grow and see they type of person they choose to become, its a really wonderful thing :-)

Thanks for sharing your inspiration Lesley!

Anonymous said...

ummm........you're not allowed to post these things unless you tell me about them first! You almost made me cry at work!

He's the best little brother ever. Yesterday, we played "soccer" with a gigantic blow-up soccer ball. Seriously, think a beach ball, but times, like, 6. And we used two sticks stuck in the ground as goals. It was AWESOME. And I totally won.

Love you!

Stace

Some Inspiration